Author Topic: A Big Box of Bruno Walter  (Read 2086 times)

Offline David Boxwell

A Big Box of Bruno Walter
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
Sony's jumbo box "Bruno Walter: the Complete Columbia Album Collection" consists of 77 CDs (8 of which are rehearsals, chat, etc.), and 9 of which are devoted to his American Mahler recordings for the label (1945-1960).  All remastered by Meyer Media LLC, and b sharp music & media solutions.  If you liked the Meyer Bernstein/Mahler box, this is worth a consideration.  I got mine from Santa Claus.

I started with Andreas Meyer's work on BW's Mahler 2 (1958) and it's tremendous.  Will audition the rest as time becomes available.

The remaining 50+ discs are good bonus material (Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.)

Offline waderice

Re: A Big Box of Bruno Walter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:10:46 AM »
I too, bought this box.  I myself, don't see how I'll be able to get through it all, but bought it primarily as a reference source.  The early mono Walter recordings will be of considerable value, since nearly all of them are no longer otherwise available, but as LPs in mostly poor condition, from thrift stores, or at higher prices from mail order sources.

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

Re: A Big Box of Bruno Walter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:48:22 AM »
Not bad for less than $150 (before tax)!  I doubt I'll buy it, but I sure support them doing this. I'm just on a tighter budget these days.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk