Author Topic: Passing of Henri-Louis de la Grange  (Read 4622 times)

Offline waderice

Passing of Henri-Louis de la Grange
« on: January 27, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
I learn from a just-posted notice at the Facebook Mahler forum that eminent Mahler biographer, Henri-Louis de la Grange passed away this morning.  AFAIK, though I am not absolutely sure, his revised Volume One of the early part of Mahler's life was completed, and awaiting final approval for publishing.  If I or anyone else learns any further details on de la Grange's passing, please post.

Wade Rice

P.S. - URL to announcement:  http://slippedisc.com/2017/01/just-in-mahlers-biographer-has-died-aged-92/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:13:32 PM by waderice »

Offline Penny

Re: Passing of Henri-Louis de la Grange
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
He was a legend, and the Mahlerian world owes him an enormous debt.  My discovery of the first volume of his Mahler biography was a turning-point.  I'd hoped to meet him on the GMS-UK Composing Huts trip of 2015 but sadly it was not to be.  RIP HLG.

Offline Constantin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »
How very sad.  Yes, obviously death eventually comes for each of us--Mahler constantly reminds us of this.  But almost always, the arrival is too soon for someone (or MANY "someones")

Henry-Louis was the epitome of a scholar, with his unquenchable desire to learn more and more.  From my personal communications with him, I found him to be what was often said, in describing Gustav Mahler:  "a saintly person," though he would probably blush and protest at such a compliment, true as it is.

He lived the life he chose;  and we are richer for it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:08:16 AM by Constantin »
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:47:35 AM »
Yeah, I saw this on Slipped Disc as well. I'm very grateful for all the hard work de LaGrange has done for Mahler.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:15:47 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline perotin

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:57:23 PM by perotin »

Offline Constantin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Here's another nice tribute to HLDLG.  It includes a Youtube excerpt from "For the Love of Mahler," which shows some of the devotion that we Mahlerians, like Henry-Louis, feel to the man and his music:    https://theviolinchannel.com/eminent-mahler-scholar-henry-louis-de-la-grange-died/
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk